Vegas Pro (formerly branded as Sony Vegas) is a professional non-linear editing system (NLE) originally published by Sonic Foundry, now owned and run by MAGIX.
Originally developed as an audio editor, it eventually developed into an NLE for video and audio from version 2.0. Vegas features real-time multitrack video and audio editing on unlimited tracks, resolution-independent video sequencing, complex effects and compositing tools, 24-bit/192 kHz audio support, VST and DirectX plug-in effect support, and Dolby Digital surround sound mixing.
Much of the visual effects processing in Vegas follows an audio-like paradigm. Effects can be applied at any stage of the visual signal flow - event level, track level, and output level effects, much like reverb, delay and flange audio effects are applied in a digital audio system, like Pro Tools, Cubase or Sonar. Master output effects can also be controlled and manipulated over time by the use of Master Bus track automation envelopes.
With version 8.0, Vegas now reads MJPEG AVIs (usually from "video" setting on digital still cameras) (With prior versions of the software, installing an MJPEG codec sometimes - but not always - fixed the problem.). Third-party codecs are supported but it can be difficult to see which codec is being used to play back an AVI. Some of Vegas's codecs are 'native' or built-in.
In April 2007, Sony along with AMD jointly demonstrated a 64-bit version of Vegas running on 64-bit Vista. Sony Vegas is designed to run on Windows XP and subsequent operating systems. Since Sony Vegas 11, support for Windows XP has been dropped. Vegas 12 dropped support for all 32-bit machines. Vegas 13 entirely dropped support for Windows Vista.
On May 24, 2016, Sony announced that it sold Vegas (and most of its "Creative Software" line) to MAGIX, who would continue supporting and developing the software. The first version of Vegas developed by MAGIX was released on September 2016.
In AGK parodies
Vegas Pro is a common resource for AGK makers, mostly because of its superior features.
The software costs a rounded price of at least US$400.00. A vast majority of video makers aren't able to pay that much cash. So to make up for the high cost, video makers have the option to download a patch (or keygen, depending on the download). This move is considered controversial: mostly because the patch can make any computer more susceptible to malware, as well as the fact that you are illegally downloading the software. As of July 2017, there have been no court cases related to patched downloads.
- AGK Generations used Sony Vegas 7, but he later changed to Sony Vegas 13.0 on April 25, 2015. He knew this is a way to make better HD videos!
- Joey Slikk and AngryGermanKid82 uses Sony Vegas with a 4:3 aspect ratio for their videos.
- Ivan187 tried to use Sony Vegas, but due to many actions that he found to be bogus, causing the program to be very annoying and complicated to use, he failed.
- MouseVideoMakerAGK70 uses Sony Vegas 11 for making videos.
- UsefulAGKHelper used Sony Vegas 10 for the first time, he practiced using Sony Vegas, but after the trial expired, he switched to Sony Vegas 11 in order to avoid problems with the trial expiration. He uses Sony Vegas 11.0 due to his computer using a 32-bit architecture.
- BlueSlash71 used Sony Vegas 11 to make his "Angry German Kid Rebooted Randomness" series and his "Angry German Kid Randomness Unleashed" series.
- FallenAGKvideos used "Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum - Steam Powered" but then he cracked "Sony Vegas 1.4" the same way as PVMAGKVIDEOS, then he cracked Sony Vegas 1.5
- GeneBernardinoLawl cracked and used "Sony Vegas Pro 13" for making videos. But according to the episode "AGK babysits his brothers Part 3", he was planning that he will using "MAGIX Vegas Pro 14". Due to that he got a error code -59, he was planning that he will using it in the future.
- Adrenaline21 use Sony Vegas Pro 11, much like of MouseVideoMakerAGK70 but this is the 1st time for his episode 20 and later episodes, he uses this.
- FourFanatic7889 used MAGIX VEGAS Pro 15 for Making Videos, he Changed Sony Vegas Pro 12 on February 15th, 2018 is a way to make better than HD Videos, he Changed again Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 & 10.0 on March 13th, 2018.
- Jayden Montoya used Sony Vegas 13 for episodes between S2EP14 and S3EP3 in Adventures, his very first series.